About the New Nigerian Passport
The new Nigerian Passport is part of the new reforms approved by the Federal Government of Nigeria. It is a product of intensive review of the existing e-passport booklet which has been in circulation for over 10 years and has only 5-year validity.
Features and benefits of the New Passport Reforms
- Introduction of a new security enhanced passport;
- Polycarbonate technology that enhances the quality of the passport;
- Ten year validity booklet that saves frequent visit to passport offices;
- Automation of issuance process to bring about transparency and address touting / middlemen;
- Strictly online payment based;
- Introduction of Electronic Document Management System that will ensure:
- Tracking of application,
- Effective communication with applicants on status of the application, and collection,
- Eliminate human interference,
- Enhances document storage system,
- Enhances prompt decision making,
- Ease process flow,
- Provision of conducive processing environment for applicants;
- Provision of effective and compliant address mechanism.
Categories of the new Passport
The new Passport is available in these categories
- 32 page 5-year validity (Adults and Minors)
- 64 page 5-year validity (Adults and Minors)
- 64 page 10-year validity (Adults (18+) only)
There is option for adults to pick from any of the three categories stated above. However, young children of less than 18 years age, have the option of choosing between category i and ii only. 10-year validity passport is not for persons below 18 years based on ICAO specifications and due to expected change in their physical appearance.
Official Fees of the New Passport
|S/N||CATEGORIES OF PASSPORT||APPROVED PASSPORT FEE|
|NAIRA (N) (local)||DOLLAR ($) (foreign)|
|1.||32 Page 5-year Standard Passport||25,000.00||130.00|
|2.||64 Page 5-year Standard Passport||35,000.00||150.00|
|3.||64 Page 10-year Standard Passport for adults only (18 years and above)||70,000.00||230.00|
|4.||32 Page 5-year Official Passport||15,000.00||N/A|
The roll out of the new Passport has been rescheduled to 29th April,2019 to finalise the integration of the National Identity Number (NIN) with the new Passport.
Requirements for the new Passport is the same with old passports with regards to application types, in addition National Identification Number (NIN) is required and mandatory for issuance of the New Passport.